The best pickleball shoes are the ones that will protect your joints from injury and especially your knees and lower back. As you play either indoors or outdoors, you should try to insulate yourself from common injuries such as sprains and hair-line fractures that could take months to heal. The favorable way to carry that out is to invest in pickleball shoes.
1. Pickleball Shoes For Women
It is important to consider that the best shoes for pickleball have a hard rubber sole, as is the case with all court shoes. In general, pickleball shoes are lighter than all other court shoes. Because pickleball requires quick movements, turns, and pivoting, choosing the best pickleball shoes is fundamental.
a. ASICS Gel Rocket 8 For Women
- Forefoot GEL Cushioning System (COURT): Attenuates...
- Trusstic System Technology: Reduces the weight of...
This pair of shoes remains an all-time favorite for beginner and intermediate players. Choosing pickleball shoes is more than just picking what looks best. It involves going for shoes that make a difference in your performance, limit the risk of injury, and have the right support for a good experience. These are by far the best pickleball shoes for women.
- Hard rubber sole for sturdy support
- 100% synthetic material for added durability and elasticity
- Has a forefoot gel cushioning system to lessen and decrease impact during strenuous activity
- Enforced with a trusstic system technology in the middle of the shoe to prevent your ankle and foot from twisting during movement.
- Sport-specific, due to the reduction of weight in the sole to retain the structural integrity of the shoe
- Best women’s pickleball shoes
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor pickleball
- Enforced with Flyte Foam proprietary technology that makes them up to 55% lighter than regular sports shoes.
- The midsole of these shoes features super fibers which bounce back after every movement, twist, or turn.
- The midsole also offers cushioning and arch support.
- Comes in different designs and colors
- The tread pattern on the rubber outsole provides superb traction and prevents slipping as you move around the court.
- The toe box at the forepart of the shoes may not cater to people with wide feet.
2. Pickleball Shoes For Men
Shoes designed specifically for pickleball are the most fundamental piece of gear you will buy. Men’s pickleball shoes are designed to be the best pickleball shoes. The detail goes down to the specific fibers used to create these shoes.
a. K-Swiss Men’s Express Light Shoes For Pickleball
- AÖSTA 7.0 RUBBER COMPOUND: High-density outsole...
- DURAWRAP: Provides an extra line of defense...
- 180 PSC PLANTAR: A 180 degree thermal plastic...
- ORTHOLITE SOCK LINER: The unique open-cell...
- DRAGGUARD: Located in the high wear areas of the...
The thing to love about these K swiss pair of pickleball shoes at first glance will be the sleek design. Made for indoor courts and outdoor courts, you will enjoy the comfortability that comes with them. It is a great investment, especially if you are a pickleball player. An interesting fact to note is that these are the only K swiss shoes designed specifically for pickleball.
- Designed for aggressive movers looking for a high level of ankle support
- The lace-up design will keep your feet locked in as you move across the court.
- The Fit weave mesh upper material will keep your feet fresh even with long hours on the court.
- Enhanced with a sock liner for easier wear
- Has breathable mesh on the body of the shoes for maximum comfort
- The EVA midsole (Ethyl Vinyl Acetate) offers a blend of comfort and shock absorbing underfoot.
- The full-length outsole enforces durability.
- The tread pattern is enhanced on this pickleball shoe to guarantee against slipping and injury with the lateral movements of the pickleball.
- External TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) heel increases stability during sudden pivoting while playing pickleball.
- Padded with extra cushioning for added comfort, glove-like fit, and foot responsiveness
- Best K swiss pickleball shoes for men
- Backed by a six-month durability guarantee
- Great stability for lateral movement
- It has ortholite inserts for arch support.
- The mesh upper material can sometimes be too stiff and will need to be broken in.
3. Best Indoor and Outdoor Pickleball Shoes
When you play pickleball, you generally do it on a pickleball court, which can be an indoor court and an outdoor court. It mostly depends on the preference of pickleball players. Sometimes the best pickleball shoes double up as general court shoes, such as tennis shoes and volleyball shoes.
a. New Balance Men’s 696 V4 Hard Court Shoe
- Durable Design: A full-length NDurance outsole...
- Supports Every Shot: These New Balance tennis...
- Made for Hard Court Matches: With outsole material...
- Lightweight Cushioning: Perforations at the...
- Seasonal Colors for a Stylish Finish: These New...
Not only is a new balance hard court shoe stylish, but recent designs and upgrades also make this shoe one of the best pickleball shoes. Of course, they are also designed as tennis shoes and hard court shoes. Nevertheless, they are excellent for indoor pickleball and other outdoor pickleball courts. Here is why you should give this shoe a try;
- Offers a grippy herringbone rubber outsole pattern that provides arch support and foot cushioning on the court.
- The rubber sole prevents wear and tear from playing pickleball.
- It has perforations in the forefoot, which offer breathability while playing pickleball or tennis.
- This new balance shoe features a synthetic mesh pattern for maximum comfort and superior breathability.
- It can be donned by both men and women.
- Has a lightweight midsole to offer support and bounce for the feet in a pickleball court
- Available in an array of colors perfect for different seasons
- Requires little to no time to break-in
- Doubles up as shoes for indoor courts and shoes for outdoor courts
- Lightweight and sturdy, hence perfect for any pickleball player
- Great fit for anyone who plays pickleball, tennis, or badminton
- A few buyers had a problem with its fragility.
- It will break with constant wear and tear.
b. K-Swiss Hypercourt Express
- Synthetic Leather Upper
- Draggaurd Rubber & Aosta Rubber Outsole
- Molded EVA Midsole
- Molded Ortholite x40 Sock Liner
- Ideal for hard court or clay court playing...
This shoe is created to be lightweight and airy, providing comfort through your lateral movements and pivoting on pickleball courts. Made as a tennis shoe, it also lives up to its name as a shoe for pickleball, volleyball shoes, and other court games.
- Ideal for hard court or clay court surfaces
- Derives inspiration from running shoes
- This shoe offers a cushioned experience for foot-to-court contact.
- Perfect choice for quick and responsive play due to lateral movements of court games
- A great choice for indoor pickleball shoes, volleyball, running shoes, and a tennis shoe
- No stitching pattern visible: constructed with a seam-free technology that molds all elements of the shoe together for flexible support and seamless finish.
- An EVA (Ethyl Vinyl Acetate) sock liner adds responsive cushioning underfoot to keep your feet protected.
- This hypercourt express shoe is only made with high-density rubber.
- Lace-up closure to provide maximum support of the feet.
- Best pickleball shoe for constant training
- Comes in different color combinations as well as block colors
- No break-in time is needed.
- The big toe box is suitable for wide feet.
- Molded with ortholite for long term cushioning, breathability & moisture management
- Sometimes the tongue on the upper mesh of your hypercourt express shoes comes up too high and might give you blisters.
c. ASICS Men’s Upcourt 4 Court Shoes
- Side support construction and full strobel lasting...
- With forefoot GEL technology for shock absorption...
- Extra cushioning is provided by the springy EVA...
- For added stability, these shoes feature our...
- Side support construction and full strobel lasting...
As a pickleball shoe, this pair of shoes incorporates a proprietary ASICS cushioning system with fabric-and-synthetic technology into its design for maximum cushioning and support. It is similar to the gel dedicate six tennis shoes. You will be able to get to the ball in time because this pickleball shoe is made for stability and balance.
- These court shoes have a great grip on all surfaces.
- Removable sock liner that provides cushioning performance
- Reinforced midsole with sponge-like material that has shock-absorbing qualities that complements bounce back and provides support.
- Forefoot gel resolution for cushioning, which reduces shock during the impact phase on indoor pickleball courts.
- Best pickleball shoes to play in
- Trusstic System technology helps to take the edge off the weight of the sole unit while retaining the structural integrity of the shoe.
- These pickleball shoes improve stability on the court, while their advanced cushioning properties help generate comfort and a responsive stride.
- The gumsole resolution helps you make abrupt transitions on the court with confidence. The specialized lasting component provides additional support for multi-directional movements.
- This shoe’s sock liner can also be removed to accommodate medical orthotics.
- Doubles up as a volleyball shoe
- Does not retain foot odor
- Women’s sizes are two times smaller than men’s sizes; hence you should order a larger size.
Potential Injuries During Pickleball
Pickleball is a great sport for working out, socializing, and meeting new people. It is a game that resembles tennis and other hard-court games. Nevertheless, as is common with any other sport, injuries regularly occur regardless of how good your court shoes, running shoes, or tennis shoes are.
Some injuries can be prevented by the use of proper shoes and proper pickleball gear. Injuries common to playing pickleball include:
- Ligament tears from changing directions too quickly
- Achilles tendon strains in the lower legs from pivoting for extended times.
- Ankle sprains which can result from lateral and swift movements
- Plantar fasciitis is inflammation in the heel from pounding on hard surfaces.
You can avoid these injuries by:
- Warming up before training or a game
- Having the right shoes (pickleball shoes, tennis shoes, or running shoes) with good non-marking soles
- Stay physically active
- Getting prompt medical attention when an injury happens
Frequently Asked Questions
a. What is Pickleball?
Pickleball is a sport played with paddles. The paddles are bigger than a regular ping pong paddle which you use to hit a ball back and forth between players. Due to its ease of play and only a handful of rules, everyone can play it successfully. The style of play varies between different pickleball players.
b. Is Pickleball Age-Appropriate?
Yes, it is. It does not need any elite skill per se. It is effortlessly played by people of all ages and does not require elitist-sport training like tennis or football. In fact, most top pickleball players do not necessarily have super athletic capabilities.
It is not expensive and is being widely accepted as a favorite pass time at family barbeques, gyms, and even schools. In several ways, it is a sport similar to tennis, badminton, and other racket games. Because of its simplicity, it is easy to learn how to play pickleball and even compete.
c. Do I Need Special Shoes to Play Pickleball?
Short answer. No. You can use any sneaker shoe to play. However, there are pickleball shoes specifically designed for the game with non-marking soles and made from durable materials like synthetic leather and hardened rubber.
Tennis shoes and volleyball shoes are also great substitutes for pickleball shoes. In fact, there are shoes made for playing all indoor games which offer added support.
d. Where Can I Play Pickleball?
Because of the growing popularity of pickleball, most big cities are repurposing tennis courts for pickleball. Since it is a recreational sport, many people are starting to play it. The demand from the public is high. You only have to retrofit your tennis shoes for pickleball and head over to your nearest repurposed tennis court.
If you are on the search for some great physical exercise for your mind, soul, and body, pickleball is the next best thing. Playing pickleball allows you to improve on your footing, agility, reflexes, and hand and eye coordination without putting your body through unnecessary strain.
Pickleball is a wholesome alternative for senior players who used to play tennis but have physical injuries and limitations such as hip, shoulder, knee, or other joint issues. Nevertheless, pickleball can be played both indoors and outdoors, and it is an accessible option for recreational facilities and activities of all types.
Pickleball is not an expensive sport and requires little gear to play. You can be able to play within half an hour of trying it out. There are books dedicated to beginners up to pro players. Basically, there is no shortage of information on pickleball, including the media. So what are you waiting for? Grab a paddle and start playing!